Pages

13 November 2006

Time out

I'm staying home from work today, my tonsils and neck are all swollen and it hurts when I swallow. Kinda sucks. So I'm calling in sick and staying in bed today. Now, the only question is what to do with this day... Watch movies maybe? Or maybe read a book? Or chat with some people? Ah, decisions, decisions...

I went to the Arcadia Festival yesterday with my housemates and some colleagues, but I must say that for that price the festival was a bit of a disappointment. And I didn't understand why the warderobe people insisted on charging you separately for your jacket and your bag, but then put them on the same hanger anyway. Total rip-off... There were some games that you could try out. I tried Gears of War a bit, it seems like an interesting game. I've heard that it's supposed to be really good, but I didn't really play it enough to get a good idea about it. I was also watching this other game, Lost Planet, that looks really cool. Both games are for the Xbox 360.
There were also some game competitions and random free stuff. They had a tournament on the game Table Tennis on a podium and threw out stickers, ping pong balls and t-shirts to gather a crowd around the players. People went completely nuts over these things, it was kind of insane. I saw five or six people play tug-o-war over a t-shirt. Seriously... Get a freakin' grip, people, it's just a t-shirt! And probably not even your size!
Overall, the festival really wasn't all that impressive. Some games to look at, but kinda boring.

After the festival I went over to Archambault music store to buy a shoulder strap for my guitar, and then over to Nikki's place. She had invited me for dinner and cooked me some Quebecois food. Mashed potatoes, baked beans with maple syrup and tourtiere. Oh, man... That was so good. I can't even remember last time I was that stuffed after a meal... We also watched Rejected by Don Hertzfeldt. That's some seriously weird-ass stuff, but absolutely hilarious! Rejected was nominated for the 2001 academy award for best animated short film and received 27 different film awards from all over the world. If you get a chance to see this, please do. It's sooooo worth the 9 minutes out of your life! :)

1 comment:

  1. My anus is bleeding!

    Great stuff, that.

    Why is she Jen when you talk to me and Nikki in your blog? Did I just fuck up by saying that? Are you me now? I tend to re name people when they have the wrong names. I had a physics labmate who said his name was Steve, but was clearly named Jake, so I called him Jake for the rest of the term.

    Turns out the freakish lump on my finger was a skin infection that was totally internal and when they lanced it this morning this huge amount of blood and pus (mostly pus--totally gross) came wooshing out. Superbly awesome.

    We learned some basic participial constructions in Finnish last night, and I can't remember how to work them right now, but there isn't a good English equivalent to them (Finnish is much more liberal with participial construction) so I've been using the Finnish grammatical construction of participals in conversation now, and I'm completely, totally in love.

    I'm also a bit insufferable about it. As I tend to be.

    I dyed the wool for your scarf, and I"m ready to give the pattern another go now that my finger is able to knit as a result of having been lanced.

    I think that's everything. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete