Pages

14 September 2006

Midweek the gray

Today was cold, gray and rainy. I didn't sleep much last night, so I was dead tired all day too. I dragged myself to the office and went to work at the project I'm working on. At about 10.15 I looked at the clock and thought to myself: "Oh, for fuck's sake... Not even eleven yet?" Yeah. For some reason this seemed like the day that would never end. But it picked up a bit after I got home and talked to my Swedish friend on skype for a while. It's always as nice to see her online when I start the computer. Tomorrow is her birthday. I wish I could be there to congratulate her in person. Grrr... fuckin' Atlantic...

And now, just for fun, a poem I scribbled down yesterday. I originally wrote it in Swedish, so this is a translation of it.

Twilight falls over amber hills
and flaming forests go out
The earth releases the mists once more
to watch over grass and stones

Stars come alive on the heavenly sea
and the moon picks up it's journey
on the well-known path over humans' nest
that she wandered for countless nights

She looks down upon me, and eyes meet anew
as so many nights before
when I sat down to think, and envied her
that she nothing misses or needs

How majestic and fair, how unmoved she is,
in her dress of timeless silver
So unearthily beautiful, so wonderfully cool
this queen of heaven is

She touches my cheek with cold, warm hands
and bathes my body in her light,
until my breath is relaxed and I fall asleep,
to wake to another dawn

3 comments:

  1. Nice lyrics! Sounds like a good song! I bet it's even better in Swedish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheesy, but ok. very cliche in terms of Where Poetry Is Now but the reactions to postmodernism are nothing I consider good.

    Doesn't your friend girl have your blog address? She doesn't post.

    I'm hungry. I got all the answers right on my animal science quiz. My hip went thunk just now and it tingles now.

    *sigh* We still have no internet. You ought should write in Finnish. Swedish all sounds as though longboats should be involved and unless longboats are involved (NO! See also: rain stick) it's going to create an artistic schizm.

    Finnish is nicer although in a language without extroverts it must be difficult to actually get anyone to play anything ever. Hmm. Try german? It wouldn't be ugly if not for the hairball cat sounds which you can just leave out. (I do) My conversational german grows by leaps and bounds every time Aaron teaches me something new, but I forget half of is.

    Die schlampe is du!

    But that's not even grammatically right.

    Hummus? Hummmus! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uauh, Sami, that's really soft and beautiful... I want someone to write for me something like that!

    ReplyDelete