Pages

21 August 2006

Rain rain rain

Today was a really nice and relaxed Sunday. It rained pretty much all day, I think it's the first time since I got here that that has happened. There was a thunderstorm at around one pm, but it didn't last very long.

I stayed home all day and spent about four hours on skype with my friend in Sweden. Oh, man... She's intelligent, funny, interesting, not to mention one of the most beautiful people I've met. And we have so much in common, I would think we were twins if I didn't know better...

Damn you, academy of music, damn you very much!

Ok, so that might need some clarification.

Before coming to Quebec, I applied for a teachers program at the Malmö academy of music. The program was set to start in January 2007, so I had to figure out something to do between graduating from the performance program in May and going back to school in January, assuming that I got in. So I looked around on the net, trying to find some kind of job. I found the ad from Enzyme testing labs. They were looking for linguistic testers with skills in scandinavian languages. I applied and got the job. This was at the end of May and the job would require me to start working on June 15th. Not knowing if I had gotten in at the teachers program, and even if I did, it still being 8 months away, I took the job and moved to Sainte-Adele, thinking I could always apply for the teachers program again after I get back to Sweden. If I go back to Sweden. All good and dandy. But about a month after coming here, I receive a letter from the academy in Malmö, saying that I was accepted to the program, and that they had moved the program to start ahead of time in August this year instead of six months later in January.

Words can not explain the explosion of rage that went through my mind that particular moment.

If the people at the academy had just let me know six weeks earlier that I got in and that the program was starting in August instead, I would not have come to Quebec. I would have stayed in Sweden and gone back to school instead. I could have stayed home, living in my own apartment, having a nice and relaxed summer vacation until school started. I could have gone to the Urkult festival with friends, and to the Medieval week festival on Gotland. And I could have spent the entire summer hanging out with this wonderful girl! Oh, cruel fate, pray tell: why dost thou torment me so? Oh, woe is me!

"Now wae to thee, thou cruel lord,
A bluidy man I throw thou be;
For mony a heart thou has made sair
That ne'er did wrang to thine or thee!"

Robert Burns, from Lament for Culloden

3 comments:

  1. Whine! Whine whine whine dastardly whine! Oh yea go forth ye and whine whine perkele dra til whine helvete svenskmann! Whine whine perkelen pöhöllö eke whine. Ennui Zarusthra sprachen zie cry impending gloom whine whine! Limpid pools whine ukko lyö ylinen jumala whine whine RANT! rantrantrantrantrant dead family alltid aleina! Whine Whine weep o mine eyes whine biznatch whine whine itsy bitsy spider.

    (etc)

    In other words, dude, I know *exactly* how you feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. See thinks from a different angle, Sami. If things had happened that other way, you would never have (almost) made that 5.8 the other day and we would never have met...

    Euh...

    Ok, forget about it.

    And by the way, that wine idea of your friend's is excellent. Should I open a bottle ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. things, not thinks.

    ReplyDelete